I would be lying right now, if I told you that I wasn't totally infatuated with Gilbert Blythe. Yes, seriously.
I implore you, please read the rest of this post. I don't want you to get the idea that I'm just another awkward teenaged girl - I'm truly not like that. I give you my word of honor.
Recently, I have rekindled my adoration for Anne Shirley's story. I cannot even describe how much I love it.
On Sunday, as I was looking for something in my basement, I came across Anne of the Island. For those of you who might not know, that book is the third installment of the Anne series.
Until tonight, I was totally unaware that Anne of Green Gables had eight books in it.
So, naturally, I had to find out how Anne and Gil eventually got together... but because I absolutely did not have time to read the full 305 pages immediately, I kind of skipped around to the parts with Gilbert.
Yes, I skipped. Guilty as charged.
The ending chapter was so beautiful. I must have read it at least 6 times because I can now recite it.
To better illustrate my euphoric mood, I hauled this little book on over to TW today. I just had to share the chapter with Stephanie and Annalisa.
I thought I would burst.
When I got home, I read it to my mom (resisting the intense urge to add emotion and voices); she was somewhat less enthusiastic.
"Gilbert drew her close to him and kissed her. Then they walked home together in the dusk, crowned king and queen in the bridal realm of love, along winding paths fringed with the sweetest flowers that ever bloomed, and over haunted meadows where winds of hope and memory blew." - The very last paragraph of Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery.
Can't you just imagine the imagery in that paragraph?
I do admit, it is kind of corny... but it still makes me melt like warm butter on hot toast.
I never knew I was such a sap.
Moving on...
Sometimes I lose my focus — it is so easy to dwell on things other than God. And it doesn't exactly help that I can identify with Anne.
In some ways, I guess, I had been living vicariously though my favorite heroine. Doggone it!
Through the trials of growing up, school, striving to achieve excellence in everything, and loving to read good literature, I watched Anne grow... and somewhere along the way we bonded. The only things I don't have in common with her are: red hair, Gilbert Blythe (but I'm fine with sharing), and being an orphan.
I was completely oblivious to this, which intensified my dilemma. That is, until tonight, when God pulled my head out of the white, puffy clouds.
While I was at Bible study, the Lord convicted my spirit of putting this book (and my emotions) before Him.
God loves me. He loves me so much. I cannot even fathom how much He loves me... and I love Him too.
However, when I take time to reflect, the love I harbor for a fictional character is quite embarrassing (to say the least).
I should be dreaming about God and not life on PEI.
Because God first loved me, I should choose to love Him (and always put Him first in my life).
Now, don't get me wrong here.
Just because I like to watch my favorite movie (with my favorite actors), doesn't make me love God less. It just does not exactly make me love Him more.
While I'm not going to stop watching Anne of Green Gables, I will be more prudent with what I choose to allow my heart to focus on.
Even the "good" things can become idols in my life. I guess I'm only human, but its still shameful.
God should be my first love — not some fictional story.

6 comments:
" I kind of skipped around to the parts with Gilbert."
"I never knew I was such a sap. Moving on..."
:) That last chapter was pretty fantastalistic.
I definitely understand where you're coming from with this post... I had to go through a similar process with Nick Jonas.
Now, mine was more an involved process (like months long) ... similar to detaching a leech from a host. (HAHA bio humor...)
Okay, that's a really disgusting image. I apologize.
But still. You understand. :)
So about SAH, do you want me to just post the follow your heart one and skip the adventure one? I totally understand if you do. Stupid, stupid blogger.
Oh, Honey...you WERE a feisty red head (on the inside)!!
Maybe you felt like you were an orphan b/c you were sandwiched right between those two brothers of yours. Those troublesome brothers who had no scope for the imagination!! Except when they were pretending to be BoxCar children...
I do know when your second brother was born you felt it to be the most tragical thing that had ever happened to you! Did you think your life "a perfect graveyard of buried hopes" when he arrived because you REALLY secretly desired a baby sister of your very own?!!
Oh honey, you know you have always belonged to me!!
I think you may find ME to be a kindred spirit after all...look at how well we deal with tragedy together!
You always make me smile =D
I love you Christine, with an E.
I just had to comment on this post! I really enjoyed reading it- I too love Gilbert! I if you haven't read all of the book yet, I sugest that you do, I thoroughly enjoyed them. :)
Stephanie - I laughed out loud at your bio humor... then I pictured it and gagged.
Mom - no, my life is not quite a perfect graveyard of buried hopes... but sometimes I do like to pretend it is. See, a tragic life pretty schmaltzy.
I love my family.
However, it is true that I wanted a sister - poor Matthew. He endured a lot of my girlish torture. ;]
Thanks, Emily!
I'm going to try to read all of them this summer (we'll see how that goes).
I'm glad you agree about Gilbert. =]
Post a Comment