Beowulf.
Enthralled in the heroism (I'm a sucker for that) and completely immersed in the adventure, I finished the book (poem) in basically a day flat. And almost cried at the end... I really need to get out more.
Seriously.
No, I don't think I'll write my Literary Analysis on it, but the story did captivate me entirely.
The only thing that bothers me now is the fact that I cannot understand the cover art.
Is the man facing the front... or the back?
I've only gotten conflicting answers, but I feel strongly that he is facing the front (my mom agrees with my perspective).
Matt told me to "Google it". This provided zero help — apparently nobody has bothered to question the cover art of Beowulf.
So, do you think that the little indent on the head is his nose or ponytail? (Did Beowulf even have a ponytail?)
If you want to kill some time, I'd appreciate your
Goodnight.

10 comments:
ha, oh wow, you and erika should get together and discuss your love :) beowulf... not my fave.
it's the front. i think. :)
Thanks for agreeing with me, Steph.
We need to have a catch-up convo sometime soon. Also, we still need to watch Growing Pains together... ("show me that smile again") indeed. =]
Haha Christine! You are so funny. It is definitely the front!! ;-)
Rachel
Oh I LOVE Beowulf! Now I know I'm not entirely crazy, at least. :) I think he's facing the front too.... because the part where his forehead would be looks like skin, not like.... hair. I guess? Not sure how good of reasoning that is, but I think he's facing the front.
The end!
front...for sure(:
You actually liked it??!! You're a crazy woman.
The way the chain mail is falling from the shoulders and the head, it suggests a slump to the back of the book, meaning what you are seeing is the back of his head. The whole posture suggests that.
*shrug* I like chain mail :P
Interesting way to start reading your blog, by the way! haha
Oh. And Beowulf has been a favorite of mine since I first read it at age 10. *deep sigh* Awesome.
-Rae
Thanks for all the lovely comments guys. <3
Rae, I'm especially glad you commented — you gave very substantial evidence. Truthfully, I did think of that (not in so many words), but I was/am in denial. Why? I will never understand.
I wish he was facing the front though...
Also, thanks for reading my blog! =]
So, I read Beowulf last year, and although I don't feel strongly either way, I do think the back of his head is the front of the book (slightly ironic?). So I did enjoy the "epic poem" though. Although, maybe the sword should be studied in chemistry. (just a random thought)
Post a Comment